Friday, October 9, 2009

Sunflower Seed Ice Cream

Well, here I am. It is a sunny Saturday although I doubt it will last! It has been hailing this morning (a month and 10 days into spring.) I have never made raw ice cream before, I can't afford the cashews! I do however have an ice cream maker from my pre-raw days. I decided it was about time for this to change!

My recipe was a bit grainy, I could have passed the liquid through a cloth bag but... I couldn't be bothered. I like it anyway. Trouble with me is I dont measure things, I just chuck them in so the recipe is approximate. I will try and measure the next time I make this and then edit (however, it may be a while as I am keen to make a pumpkin pie (which I will also post) which I juice the pumpkin for so will probably make pumpkin pie ice cream too!

This recipe has...
about 1/4 cup of almonds about 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds 10 dates
These were soaked overnight but probably could have sone with a bit longer, maybe 24 hours. I then blended these together with the soak water (about a cup) and an extra cup of water and a banana (until it was a thinish smoothie consistency.) I then added 2 teaspoons of raw cocoa powder a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger. Then I chucked them into the ice cream maker and switched it on.

This came out pretty yummy although a little bit grainy. I wonder if it is the lack of soak time, the low wattage blender or just that I should have separated the liquid off. It could have done with some more ginger but thats just me! I also grated a little bit of raw chocolate on the top. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment